This is a fun game that can be played with 2 to 12 students. The best number of players is 3 to 5.
Materials: Reindeer Race game board, two dice, one marker for each player. Small buttons or 1 cm cubes work well for the markers.
1. Students choose a number from 1 to 12 and place their marker on that number at the bottom of the game board.
2. Someone rolls the two dice. Add the numbers on the dice and move that reindeer up one space. If there is no reindeer for that number, no one moves. No matter who rolls, the reindeer with that number gets to move up one space.
3. Let the next person roll, add the numbers on the dice and move that reindeer.
4. Keep rolling and moving until one reindeer crosses the finish line.
5. The reindeer who was in last place gets to be the first to choose their number for the next race.
Students soon learn which numbers have the greater probability of being rolled with two dice.